PHP has gained abundant popularity as a scripting language for developing software applications. There have been several frameworks designed based on PHP to add more functionalities to web applications. Out of all the PHP frameworks, CakePHP has gained more popularity comparatively. Mant application development experts even go to the extent to claim that CakePHP is the framework that helps developers utilise the capabilities of PHP upto its full extent.
For mobile applications, the basic requirement is that the app should be as light as possible to be able to offer a faster performance. The code developed based on the CakePHP framework is written in PHP, thereby making the code very light by default. Apart from this, there are several other features that make it the most suitable backend framework.
The software development process using the CakePHP framework is simpler and that is the reason many developer prefer developing the backend of mobile apps using CakePHP. But that is not all that this framework has to offer. Here are a few benefits of using CakePHP as the backend framework for mobile applications.
- The MVC model: This is obviously the most significant benefit of all as a Model View Controller driven framework is capable of separating the logic from the presentation and that improves the performance of large applications. The response time of the app is reduced manifold with the MVC pattern.
- The CRUD scaffolding: CRUD scaffolding lets the framework handle the most important 4 actions of the application, i.e. create, read, update, delete through just one line code. This is a really time saving way of developing apps.
These 2 features have helped developers create mobile app that are faster and offer a lot of functionalities.
The configuration of an android app backend on the CakePHP framework is very simple and can be concluded only in a few steps. Developers have a soft spot for the CakePHP framework because of this simplicity.
- The initial configuration: Initially, the storage structure has to be defined to maintain code simplicity and clarity. The storage structure should be such that there are multiple distinct files for each attribute in the CakePHP. Once such distinct files are created, they must be included in the bootstrap. The bootstrap, being the config folder plays a decisive role in every request cycle. This way, one can easily locate the needed folder and make changes in future.
- The routing: Once the attributes have been successfully attributed, the next step is to add a route for all the URLs to manage it easily. This helps in specifying the URLs and directing them to the appropriate controllers with ease.
- The creation of controllers: This step will help create a connection between the frontend and the backend through controllers. The MVC model requires well directed controllers to configure various responses to user actions on the frontend. Controllers call to the corresponding APIs and fetch the appropriate responses.
- The creation of models: This is the concluding and a crucial step. The creation of models lined to each controllers completes the MVC structure.The models will have certain call to actions for performing various actions.
In these 4 steps, the complete configuration of the backend of the android application is concluded on CakePHP. The next steps that follow will involve the UI/UX design and the frontend configuration.
The above-mentioned 4 steps clearly sum up how easy it is to use CakePHP framework for mobile app development. While developing android mobile apps, one should make sure the code performance is very good as the app performance is as important in gaining loyal customers as the app functionality.